- Always use common sense when using an ATM.
- Protect your ATM card, ATM pin, and ATM receipts.
- Never write your PIN on your card or card holder. Do not keep the PIN in your purse or wallet.
- Always have your ATM card ready in your hand before you approach the machine. Do not wait to pull it out of your purse or wallet when you get there. Place the palm over the numbers on the front of the card, to hide them from sight.
- Put your money away immediately and leave the ATM. You can count it later in private.
- Avoid using the ATM at night. If you must, choose an ATM that is well-lit and free from shrubbery or trees that could obscure vision around the machine. Consider taking a buddy.
- When using the drive-thru ATM, lock your car doors and roll up all other windows. If you are in a line behind another car, leave enough space so that you can make a quick exit if needed.
- Keep your privacy when using an ATM. Make sure no one sees you key in your PIN number. Use your body to shield the keypad. Never ask someone, other than a bank employee, for help at the ATM.
- Never use an ATM is something is attached to the card slot. If the ATM looks different than normal, do not use it, and report it to a bank representative.